Friday, February 7, 2014

Creamy Mushroom Fettuccini


Want to know something about me?  I love recipes.  I have four three-ring binders full of them in my kitchen, and I have a fifth binder of to-dos.  The beauty of recipes is that they don't expire, so there's no pressure to try that pasta dish that looked pretty good... tomorrow.  This was in my to-do binder, and it immediately earned itself a spot as a keeper.  Enjoy installment 2 of the "You can do Valentine's Day at home" collection!
 
Creamy Mushroom Fettuccini
chefjennylyn.com

9 oz. refrigerated fresh fettuccini
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
16 oz. sliced mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp. salt, divided (1/4 and 1/2)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 white wine (I sub chicken stock.)
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)

Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil; swirl to coat.
Add onion, mushrooms, garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, and pepper.  Sauté 12 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and have released their liquid. Add wine and thyme; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.  Remove pan from heat.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Once drained, add mushroom mixture, 1/2 tsp. salt, half-and-half, and Parmesan cheese to pan, tossing to combine.  Serve immediately.

* This is from Cooking Light, but I tweaked a few things.  More mushrooms, more onion, and more garlic, specifically.

 
 

I've shown this before, but this is the quickest way to coarsely chop an onion.  Cut one end off, keeping the fuzzy end.  Then slice it down the middle.  I'm using the 5" Santoku and the Large Cutting Board, my two most often used tools.


Slice the onion into strips, and then slice across, ending at the fuzzy spot.  You'll end up with small, dices pieces, and you won't even have to chase slippery onion around the cutting board.  Safety first!


I never get sick of seeing the Garlic Press do its thing.  You don't have to peel the garlic!  If you're not cooking with fresh garlic, you're missing out. It's ridiculously inexpensive, and it adds so much to every recipe!  Garlic is going into a Pinch Bowl here.


I like to combine ingredients that are going at the same time during prep because it makes things a bit more efficient when the heat is up, and you're adding things in stages.  So just grind the pepper right on top of the garlic.  Looking around, I've got the mushrooms in a Stainless Mesh Colander, the onion in a 1-Cup Prep Bowl, the oil in a Mini Easy-Read Measuring Cup, and my garlic mixture in a Pinch Bowl.


I've found that keeping the Mini Mix 'n Scraper handy for adding ingredients is awesome!  This thing fits right inside my Prep Bowls, Pinch Bowls, and Measuring Cups, so I don't fumble around trying to get things out while what's in the pan continues to cook.  (You can burn garlic in hot oil really quickly while you're trying to get the onion to pour from its bowl.)


Once everything is in the pan, I switch to the Mix 'n Scraper, my favorite tool for cooking.  This thing is a great size for most jobs, and it won't melt when it's left in the hot skillet.  I'm using the 10-Inch Skillet from the Executive Cookware Collection, and the 8-Qt. Stockpot is behind it.  Here's a tip for a recipe where you need a pasta boiled and added to another mixture.  Start the pasta water while you do everything else, and then move it to a large eye of the stove when it's time to really get going.  If you begin with cold water when you actually need to be cooking the pasta, you're going to be waiting a really long time.


The mushroom mixture cooks for 10 minutes, so I use that time to prep the rest of my ingredients.  Stock and half-and-half are in Easy Read Measuring Cups, Parmesan is in a Measuring Cup, and thyme is in a Measuring Spoon.


You should smell this.  Beautiful!


Fresh pasta only cooks for a minute, so this recipe comes together very quickly once the mushroom mixture is done.


While the pasta cooks, I get everything ready to pour in once it's drained.


The pasta drains in a Stainless Mesh Colander, and then everything is added back to the big, hot pot, and it's stirred together to become a delicious dish that pairs so well with beef that it's scary.

For the steak seen in the first picture: Filet Mignon with Chive-Horseradish Butter
And the broccoli: Roasted Broccoli (with Pampered Chef Rub)

 
Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464





No comments:

Post a Comment