Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chicken Stroganoff Pasta

 
Let me begin with an apology.  It's really difficult to make a creamy main course look appetizing, so I'm sorry that my delicious pasta looks like a pile of goop.  I promise it actually tastes really good!  I pulled this from a 2007 issue of Cooking Light a couple of years ago, and I was confused as to why there was no picture.  I'm no longer confused.
 
We all have our different versions of comfort food, but for me, anything creamy does the trick.  Warm, creamy, noodle-y chicken dish full of fresh mushrooms?  Sold!  This recipe is relatively simple to prepare once you have your prep work done, but it will throw you if you're sautéing onions before realizing the chicken needs to be dredged in the flour and paprika.  Prep, prep, prep!
 
Chicken Stroganoff Pasta
chefjennylyn.com
 
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. paprika
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
 
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 freshly ground pepper, divided
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
 
1/2 cup less-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. sherry
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tbsp. flour
 
5 cups hot, cooked egg noodles
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
 
Directions
 
Combine 1/4 cup flour with paprika, and dredge sliced chicken in mixture.  Set aside.
 
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.  Add sage, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown.  Spoon mixture into a large bowl, and set aside.
 
Heat oil in pan, and add chicken.  Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and remaining 1/8 tsp. pepper.  Sauté 4 minutes or until chicken is done.  Add to mushroom mixture.
 
Whisk together sour cream and 1 tbsp. flour in small bowl.  Add broth and sherry to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.  Reduce heat to medium-low; add sour cream mixture and remaining 1/4 salt.  Stir in chicken and mushroom mixture, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.  Add noodles and parsley, stirring well to combine.

 

This is what it looks like pretty much every time I cook.  I set my recipe up, get out the ingredients, and pull a few of my most-used kitchen tools.  Easy Read Measuring Cups, Scrapers, Large Cutting Board, 5" Santoku Knife, Measuring Cup Set, Measuring Spoon Set, Bamboo Grinders, and a few Prep and Pinch Bowls are out every time.  Cooking is easier when you place the things you need within arm's reach.


To get 1 1/2 cups of chopped onion, I used two medium ones.  To do them in the Manual Food Processor, simply quarter them, and place them in there one at a time.


A few pumps later, you have this.  Needless to say, I use my Manual Food Processor a lot.  No onion tears, no smell, and no chopped fingers!


I recently took a test to determine whether I was a nerd or a free spirit, and I was definitely a nerd.  I like having my ingredients measured and lined up before I cook, and measuring as I go stresses me out.  The good news is that I have great tools that make this possible!  Notice the sour cream in the Measure-All Cup.  If you have one of these and you've wondered how to use it, wonder no more!  Push it down, fill it up, and pop it out like a syringe.  (Browse the blog for more pics of it actually in use.  I was kind of in a hurry and didn't take a lot of step-by-step photos here.)


 As always, I sliced my chicken with the 5" Santoku Knife on the Large Cutting Board.  Once sliced, I put it in the Small Batter Bowl to await dredging.  In the background, you can see that my mushrooms are hanging in a Stainless Mesh Colander, and everything else is on another Large Cutting Board.

 
I like using the Cake Pan Set for dredging foods.  I also use these pans when I'm doing French toast.  There's plenty of surface area, and the sides are high enough to keep what's inside... inside.  Oh, and the handles - so handy!  Ok, so just dredge your chicken pieces, and lay them back out on the cutting board.
 

Water takes a long time to boil, so it's a good idea to get it started when you begin the rest of your recipe.  By the time it's boiling and your noodles are cooked, you're almost ready for them.  Here, I've got water in the 8-Qt. Stockpot from the Executive Cookware Collection, and the onions are in the 10-inch Skillet from the same.  Conveniently, one lid fits both pieces.


There aren't many other pictures because this is one of those recipes that moves pretty quickly once you start putting it together.  My mushroom mixture is in a Stainless Mixing Bowl here, and I'll add the chicken once it cooks.  Then it's just sauce, adding noodles, and done!  Oh, and the tool in the skillet is the Mix 'n Scraper, one of our four scrapers that won't melt, stain, or come apart.  I love using this in my pans and just leaving it while I do other things in the kitchen.  I don't have to worry about coming back to a marshmallowy mess!

If you're looking for something creamy and delicious during the cold wintery weather, try this pasta.  As always, let me know what you think!


Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment