Thursday, February 6, 2014

Filet Mignon with Chive-Horseradish Butter

 
Today is February 6th.  Valentine's Day is one week from tomorrow.  For a lot of people, that means a crowded restaurant, an overpriced meal, and sense that you've been herded in and out like cattle.  The solution?  Cook at home, friends!  A very nice meal can be prepared at home for a reasonable price, and you don't even have to tip at the end!  I'm all for really good food in my own house, so here's one of my favorite steak recipes.
 
Here are the other two recipes shown:
 
Filet Mignon with Chive-Horseradish Butter
chefjennylyn.com
 
5 tsp. butter, softened
1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
1 tbsp. minced fresh chives
4 beef tenderloin steaks
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil (for brushing steak)
 
Combine butter, horseradish, and chives in a small bowl; refrigerate 20 minutes.
 
Brush steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
 
Heat grill pan over medium-high heat.  Add steaks to pan, and cook 4-7 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.  (This soooo depends on the thickness of your steak!) Scoop butter mixture onto each steak.
 

I cut the butter into small pieces using a Quikut Paring Knife, and it's softening in a 1-Cup Prep Bowl.  I'm mincing chives with my favorite knife, the 5" Santoku from the Forged Cutlery Collection.  Here's a great tip on mincing, slicing, and dicing: When you get to the end, just let it go.  Don't try to get every last bit, or you'll be much more likely to cut yourself.  For those of us who are simple home cooks, no one expects heroism.  This is how I've used great knives without falling victim to the blade.  I have no problem throwing out twenty-five cents worth of green onion tops.  As always, I'm using the Large Cutting Board for all of that beautiful surface area.


I love that the shape of the Measuring Spoons is such that they get down inside spice bottles, horseradish bottles, etc.


Let's just take a moment to admire this beautiful meat.  Scroll to the bottom for a breakdown of what this meal cost to prepare, but for now, is this not the thickest steak you've ever seen?  To be honest, I like to buy filet as an entire tenderloin, and then I cut the steaks myself, but the store was out of tenderloins, and I had to buy pre-cut.  If I'd had it my way, the total ounces here would have been six steaks, not four.  Oh, well.


One thing I love about the Large Cutting Board is that one side has wells, and the other doesn't.  Once I've finished my vegetables and non-meat items, I can flip it over for beef preparation.  Notice I said NON-MEAT items - Don't do meat and then flip... obviously.  I brushed the meat with olive oil using my Chef's Silicone Kitchen Brush (hidden by my hand), and I had my olive oil in a Prep Bowl.  Then a sprinkle of Pampered Pantry Salt and Pepper with my Bamboo Grinder Set, and I'm ready to go!


This is a great time to use the "Count Up" feature on the Clock/Timer.  When the pan is sizzling and the vent is running (Side note: Turn on the vent fan.), you don't want to be tracking how long something has cooked.


Cook on one side.  Flip.  Finish.  Boom!  I'm using the Chef's Tongs here because they're gentle with that tender, beautiful meat, and they won't melt in my hot pan.

 
It only seems right to show the steak one more time since that last picture was so smoky.  Let me break down what this meal cost to prepare at home.  This is enough for four servings of everything.
 
Beef Tenderloin: $9.99/lb.  I spent $23, but my steaks were crazy thick.
Horseradish: $1.12
Broccoli: $2.99
Pasta: $2.38
Mushrooms: $5.00
Onion: $1.00
Chicken Stock: $.89
 
Everything else was on-hand (olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, etc.), so the grand total was....
 
$36.29 for four people = $9.07 per plate.
 
*** If you order a grill pan from me, I'll pay your shipping.  Happy grilling!***
(Contact me directly for this offer at the phone or email below.)
 
Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment