Saturday, February 5, 2011

Coffee Cake Muffins

I play in the orchestra at church, and sometimes I feel like taking a little snack to my fellow musicians. This recipe was given to me by a friend, and this blog marks my first attempt. I. Am. Fearless.

Coffee Cake Muffns
www.chefjennylyn.com

3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. chopped walnuts or pecans
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Prepare 12 muffin cups.

For topping, stir 3 T. flour, brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Cut in the 2 T. butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts or pecans.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter unil mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In another bowl, combine egg with buttermilk. Add egg mixture to dry mixtrue and stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).

Spoon half the batter into muffin cups, filling 1/3 full. Top with half steusel topping, remaining batter, and remaining steusel.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffin cups on cooling rack 5 minutes.



The Spice Turn-About has been so helpful in my kitchen! It holds Pampered Chef seasonings, but the wells are also right for McCormick, Simply Organic, and other brands.

Pampered Chef Korinje Cinnamon. Period. It's by far the best cinnamon I've ever had, and the bottle contains more than standard brands. Behind the cinnamon, I'm going at it with the Adjustable Measuring Spoons and Small Batter Bowl. The spoons come in a set two, and they are must-haves.

For those of you who are experienced homemakers, this tip will mean nothing to you. For everyone else, heed the warning. When you start to run low on something, go ahead and jot it down on a grocery list. There's nothing like running out of flour, butter, or eggs when you're in the mood to bake. My fridge is full of Pampered Chef products: The Clock/Timer is great because it times, counts up, and contains a digital clock. Oh, and it travels. The Easy Opener is just what you need for popping seals on pickle jars, etc. Then there's the Easy Conversions Magnet. "This recipe calls for 2 T. but I'm doubling it... 1/4 cup. Boom!" It also does Standard/Metric conversions for all those European recipes you've been wanting to try.



You know what I like about the lid to the Small Batter Bowl? It doubles as my cutting board when I'm chopping butter. The Quikut Paring Knives are perfect for these small tasks, and you can't beat them for slicing bananas. The Small Batter Bowl holds up to 1 quart, and its measurements are embossed in the glass. The Bamboo Spoons are also shown.



A 2-Cup Prep Bowl, my Stainless Mini Whisk, my 1-Cup Easy Read Measuring Cup make quick work of the egg/buttermilk mixture. These products may not change the fact that buttermilk is a disgusting, foul-smelling, rotten substance, but at least they help me deal with it in minimal time.


This is your step-by-step tutorial of how to assemble these muffins. See all the way down the line? I'm creative that way. People often ask if liners can be used with the Stoneware Muffin Pan, and the answer is absolutely! This pan is the secret to the cupcakes that come from my kitchen. Even baking means no scorched bottoms, no dried out insides, and no gross, crusty tops.


Thanks to my Mix 'n Scraper, I was able to get all the batter out of the bowl. When I tell people the difference this makes, they sometimes say, "But I want to lick the bowl." Well, this particular batter tasted like biscuit dough, and I don't think most people enjoy eating that. In the case of brownie or cake batter, however, the Skinny Scraper is the perfect size for your mouth. I used the Medium Scoop for the batter and the Small Scoop for the topping. This batter was super sticky, and I think I would have become frustrated if it hadn't been for my scoop. Thank you, Pampered Chef products, for making this fun instead of stress-inducing! By the way, this is the 4-qt. Stainless Mixing Bowl, my go-to baking companion.

Enjoy these, and let me know if you try them! I accidentally read the recipe incorrectly and used 1/2 cup of walnuts instead of 2 T., so I'm afraid I didn't get the true experience. Oh, well... just gotta try again!

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464

No comments:

Post a Comment