Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oven Roasted Broccoli


Side dishes can sometimes be the most stressful part of a meal. I think most of us have been guilty of preparing a meal, looking around, and realizing we don't have a good balance of vegetables to, well, everything that's not a vegetable. It reminds me of the time I ordered lasagna in Brazil, and it was served with rice and French fries. True story. Ok, so here's a great method for cooking broccoli. It's packed with flavor, and it still has the crunch that's easily lost when steaming. (Above photo is in the Deep Covered Baker.)

Oven Roasted Broccoli
chefjennylyn.com
5 broccoli crowns
1 cup lite Italian salad dressing
3/4 tsp. basil
3/4 tsp. thyme
3/4 tsp. rosemary, crushed
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Slice, wash, and drain broccoli. Toss with remaining ingredients. Spread on Large Bar Pan, and cook 20-30 minutes, or until desired doneness. (Toss half-way through baking so the flavors are evenly distributed.)

Slicing vegetables isn't the most fun task in the world, and that's why a lot of people rarely buy anything fresh. The 5" Utility Knife makes quick work of the broccoli crowns, which is by far the most time-consuming part of the recipe. Cutting up broccoli is proof that good knives are essential for an efficient kitchen. Check out the Forged Cutlery Collection for this knife and his siblings. My station: Large Colander from the Colander & Bowl Set; Large Grooved Cutting Board, which fits across my sink; Pinch Bowl for my herb mixture; Easy Read Measuring Cup for salad dressing.



My recipe makes a lot of broccoli, so feel free to cut it in half if you don't plan to feed an army. I'm a big fan of fresh vegetables, and I like to cook enough for leftovers. This is the Large Bar Pan, and it's ideal for large quantities. When you read a recipe that uses the term "jelly roll pan," you need the Large Bar Pan.
This recipe can be used for any vegetables you want, so get crazy and experiment with the produce section.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464

No comments:

Post a Comment