Monday, February 7, 2011

Tex-Mex Pork

I made 4 cups of salsa and needed to use it for something, so I started searching through my stack of Cooking Light recipes. I came up with this Tex-Mex Pork because it only required a handful of ingredients, one of which was fresh salsa. Score!

Tex-Mex Pork
www.chefjennylyn.com



1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups fresh salsa
2 cups rice, cooked
Optional: sour cream, avocado, and other condiments

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add salsa and water to pan; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve over rice, and top with condiments.
Yield: 4 servings


Pork loin, sausage, and anything else that comes in that hard, plastic packaging: use the Professional Shears. These scissors are perfect for so many things in the kitchen, from cutting meat to opening packages. The 5" Santoku Knife , my favorite, made quick work of slicing pork. Please note: If you saw at meat, there's a problem with your knife. The Large Cutting Board, adds counter space to my kitchen by laying across my sink.

Measuring ingredients ahead of time is the key to quick work. Salsa and water are in Easy Read Measuring Cups, also known as the Best Measuring Cups in the World. The slant makes for easy measuring, and incremental measurements mean you only have to measure once (ex: 1 2/3 cups on the 2-cup measuring cup). My kosher salt is in an Adjustable Measuring Spoon, and I have my Bamboo Grinder Set to the side. The pork is cooking in my favorite piece of cookware, the 10" Skillet from the 7-Piece Executive Cookware Set. I earned this cookware free as a new consultant, and that alone was reason to love my job.


This picture looks kind of gross to me, but it gets the point across. Cook the pork/salsa mixture while your rice cooks, and everything will finish together. My main dish is in the 10" Skillet, and the rice is in the 1 1/2-Qt. Saucepan, both from the 7-Piece Executive Cookware. My favorite spatula is part of the Basic Nylon Tool Set, amazing tools that can be left in pans without melting.

Here's my take on this recipe: Quick and easy. It didn't blow my mind, but I think it would make a good dinner, and it could be amazing inside a quasadilla. At that point, it would no longer be Cooking Light worthy...

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment