Monday, February 14, 2011

Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits

A few years ago, my sister gave me one of the coolest gifts I've ever received, a homemade cookbook. She scrapbooked several family favorites along with new recipes she knew I'd love. New recipes like this one for Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I'm not going to ask why you go to Red Lobster, but I'll tell you the only thing I care about having is the bread basket.

Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits
chefjennylyn.com

2 cups Biscuick
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Mix Biscuick, milk, and cheese until soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto stone.
Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Mix butter and garlic powder. Brush liberally over warm biscuits before removing from stone.
Serve warm.


Biscuick isn't a pantry staple for me. After buying this box, I figured I should have looked up a substitute online, but instead I'll make all of those oh-that-calls-for-Biscuick-but-I-don't-have-any recipes over the next few months. Anyway, the Professional Shears are wonderful for opening packages like this. Have you ever ripped open a bag of cake flour only to have it go everywhere? Not. Fun. My bowl of choice tonight is the Classic Batter Bowl. Heavy glass, measurements embossed in the sides. Pour spout. Handle. Lid. Awesome.

Thank you, Easy Conversions Magnet! I wanted to cut this recipe in half, but I didn't know what to do about 2/3 cup of milk. For people who are good at math, this might seem simple, but for those of us whose hearts race at the thought of simple addition without a calculator, it's kind of tough. Seeing that 2/3 cup is 10 tbsp. + 2 tsp. made life easy, so with that I used 5 tbsp. + 1 tsp., and I was ready to go. My cheese is in the Measuring Cup Set, and I've got milk in an Easy Read Measuring Cup, the Mini specifically. Remember what I said about Biscuick's rare place in my kitchen? Thanks to a Twixit! Clip, I don't have to worry about this drying out any time soon.



This is sticky dough, so it helps to use a scoop. I used the Large Scoop, and I got uniform biscuits without hassle. The Small Mix 'n Scraper kept me from leaving dough in the Batter Bowl, and I promise I got my last biscuit simply by scraping the sides.


What a fun cookbook! I love that it's full of things chosen specifically for me by my sweet sister.
I baked these on the Medium Round Stone, but this is the old version that doesn't have handles. It's still going strong after several years, so I can't bring myself to replace it. That said, I really want one with fancy handles! To melt my butter, I put it in the Small Batter Bowl and stuck that in the oven while the biscuits baked. Then I stirred in my garlic powder with the Skinny Scraper and brushed it on with the Chef's Silicone Basting Brush. Notice how the basting brush is hanging on the side of the bowl? That's thanks to the handy hook on the back.


Beautiful, golden bottoms thanks to Stoneware. With even heat distribution, these results are typical. Ok, so make these soon, and quit ordering endless shrimp just so you can eat endless bread.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


No comments:

Post a Comment