Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze

Drooling? Me, too. I used to hate scones, but that's because I'd only been exposed to a few with the texture of a dog biscuit. As I've expanded my horizons, I've come to realize scones are amazing when baked correctly, and there are all kinds of crazy things you can do with them. Things like stuffing them full of Oreos. If you have half a cup of pumpkin on hand, these scones will be a good decision. If you don't have half a cup of pumpkin, going to the store and getting it will be a good decision. Seriously, do it.

(Displayed on pedestal from Trifle Bowl)

Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze
chefjennylyn.com

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons buttermilk, plus a few extra teaspoons if the dough is too dry
1 large egg

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife, fork, food processor or your hands, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, buttermilk, and egg.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Form the dough into a ball. Cut in half. Pat out each dough ball onto a lightly floured surface and form them into 1-inch thick circles. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough into eighths. Place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 14 or 15 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. Makes 16 scones. (Jenny-Lyn's note: I made mine huge and only got 8.)

Maple Icing

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon maple flavor

In a large saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar, white sugar and heavy cream. Bring to a low boil, turn off heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Whisk and add in 2/3 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Frost scones.



Let's start with the Smooth-Edge Can Opener. So many of my customers have purchased one for themselves and come back for more after using it. If only I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "I've got to get one of those for my daughter-in-law!" But seriously, this is the best can opener in the world. Smooth can edges, crust-free opener... win.

Look familiar? Yes, pretty much every baking experience begins the same way for me, but this is the reason I still enjoy it. I'm quick and efficient because I don't stop in the middle of a recipe to find a random ingredient. Nope, I get it all out at the beginning and then just add things as the recipe directs. It's a great method, and I highly recommend it. Here's what I'm using: Pinch Bowls, Measuring Spoon Set, Adjustable Measuring Spoons, Measuring Cup Set, Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup, Measure-All Cup, Stainless Mixing Bowls, Korintje Cinnamon, Large Cutting Board. I love kitchen tools.

The Pastry Blender is a must-have for cutting butter. Before I had this, I shyed away from anything that involved this step because it was so annoying with a fork. Butter = happiness.

Since I was making pumpkin scones, I decided to get crazy and cut them out with my new pumpkin cutters, a Pampered Chef Outlet find. The set comes with a pumpkin, a ghost, and a bat, and it's only available until the 31st. Less than two dollars! Unfortunately, I made my scones super thick and lost the pumpkin stems in baking. These are on the Rectangle Stone from the Stoneware Collection, and that's what I credit with their perfect baking. The bottoms were beautifully golden to match the tops, and the insides were moist. Put simply, perfection happened in my kitchen.

I'll be repeating these on a regular basis. This recipe is a home run with no room for improvement. The pumpkin flavor is clear without being overwhelming, and the maple glaze compliments it perfectly. If you find yourself searching pumpkin scone recipes online, stop now. The internet has led you to a good place.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


No comments:

Post a Comment