Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cookies 'n Cream Scones

Sometimes I'm in the mood to bake, and there's nothing that can get my mind off of it. Yes, I'm a little obsessive that way. Once my mind is locked on something, it's locked. I was the kid who used to drive my parents crazy once I got an idea in my head, but now I'm the adult who can just act on whatever idea I have - like making cookies 'n cream scones because I happened across a recipe online. I made something involving Oreos a couple of weeks ago, and that left me with half a package unused. This is dangerous. You know how you can leave something in the pantry untouched for months, but then if you get started on it, it's like game over? That's how I am, and that's why I don't keep junk food in my house. I put the Oreos in the freezer, but that's not much of a solution because frozen Oreos happen to be every bit as good as thawed ones, especially if you add a glass of milk. What am I saying? Is it even possible to eat these things without milk? Ok, I digress... Anyway, I needed to use the stupid cookies to avoid eating them. That's when I saw this recipe from Amandeleine, one of the many cooking blogs I follow. Scones full of crushed up Oreos and white chocolate chips? Yes, please!
(Pictured above: Cooling Rack, Large Serving Spatula, Rectangle Stone, Medium Round Stone)

Cookies 'n Cream Scones
chefjennylyn.com


1 cup cold heavy cream
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup crushed Oreos
1 cup white chocolate chunks or chips
Additional cream for brushing the scones (about 3 tablespoons)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet or stone.
2. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix 1 cup heavy cream and egg together with a fork. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
3. Add the cold butter pieces to the flour mixture. Cut together. Stop mixing when the butter is mostly mixed in. You want to have small butter chunks that are about the size of peas.
4. Pour the cream and egg mixture over the flour/butter mixture. Stir until everything just comes together. Don’t over mix. Add in the Oreo chunks and white chocolate. Keeping the dough in the bowl, knead it by hand just until it comes together.
5. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on surface. Divide the dough into two large pieces. Working with one piece at a time, pat the dough into a circle. Cut it into wedges. Repeat with the other piece. Place scones on baking sheet and lightly brush with additional cream.
6. Bake the scones for 15-18 minutes, or until the scones are firm. Transfer scones to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
-----
This recipe is from Amandeleine, and she got it from someone else who got it from someone else.


I always lay ingredients out before I start a recipe. This just keeps me from feeling flustered, especially when I'm making something for the first time. It's part of my obsessive personality, I guess, but I'm not some weirdo who can't stand to do it any other way. So what do we have going on here? Lots of things... Stainless Mixing Bowls, Measuring Spoon Set, 2-Cup Prep Bowls, Pinch Bowls, Easy Read Measuring Cups, Measuring Cup Set, and the Manual Food Processor. Of course, as always, I have a Large Cutting Board underneath. You'll see why in a second.

I used to stay away from most recipes that involved cutting butter into flour. Why? Because it's annoying and difficult to do if you don't have the right tool! Confession: What you see here is my first time using the Pastry Blender. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I never saw a use for it because I never cut butter into things. Then I made something (why can't I remember what it was?), and I got so annoyed using a fork that I ordered a Pastry Blender that day. Fast forward, and this is the result. Ok, this thing is amazing. Now I'll make up for lost time by making all things pastry blendery in the near future.

This is why I measure ingredients on the Cutting Board. I'm a messy, messy girl when it comes to the kitchen. I just figure it's easier to make a mess and wipe it up than to be oh-so-careful while measuring, mixing, and pouring. This is the Manual Food Processor, and it's awesome. Chop meat, cookies, vegetables, anything you want!

Sometimes a recipe says to do something by hand, and that means "but with a tool." In this case, I think it's just talking about diving in and getting dirty. At least I hope that's what it means, or I look really stupid right now. Ok, so the bottom line is that this dough looks amazing. I mean, hello - cookies. white chocolate chips. COOKIES! Of course, this is a Stainless Mixing Bowl because I'm in love with the entire set.

The original recipe says I'm supposed to cut the dough in triangles, but I enjoy the Biscuit Cutters for things like this. Just look at how pretty those babies are over there on the Rectangle Stone! I used the Flour/Sugar Shaker to dust the Large Cutting Board, and it's now the perfect work surface for my dough-cutting skills. (Note: Don't overwork the dough... shape and reshape once max, and then just turn anything left into separate scones that are just happy to be invited to the party.)

Use the Chef's Silicone Basting Brush to give these a little hit of cream, and they're ready to go in the oven! See this monster here? He's the result of leftover dough being piled into one beautiful mound of awesome.

Why this picture? Because I set the timer incorrectly. These are supposed to bake 15 minutes, but I accidentally set them for 1 hr. 50 minutes. After about 25 minutes, I realized my mistake and pulled them out of the oven. This picture illustrates the perfection that is Pampered Chef Stoneware. Even though I baked these almost twice as long as stated, they didn't scorch. They ended up a bit more done than I wanted, but they certainly didn't ruin. The outsides were a little brown, but the insides were still moist and delicious, just like a scone should be. Just call me an authentic scone maker. I still have some Oreos in the freezer, so maybe I'll try again because practice, after all, makes perfect.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464



No comments:

Post a Comment