Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Scones

Scones... You probably know my history with scones and how I later realized they really aren't bad, especially if they're made with the base for this recipe. If you don't know that story, here it is. Anyway, this is a cinnamon sugar version of Baked Perfection's fabulous recipe, and I feel the need to warn you these are dangerous. You make them without knowing just how good they're going to be, and you end up sick from sugar overload when you couldn't limit yourself to one. Experience speaks loudly, my friends.

Cinnamon Sugar Scones
chefjennylyn.com


2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 cups heavy cream

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add heavy cream, and stir just until combined. (Mixture will be sticky, so don't think you're an idiot just yet.) Flour a surface, and pat the dough out; cut into shapes. Place scones on a pan, and bake 9-11 minutes. Let cool five minutes before glazing.

For glaze, stir ingredients until you reach a thin icing consistency. Pour or drizzle over warm scones.

Recipe adapted from Baked Perfection


If you've seen one picture of prep work, you've seen them all. If you've followed my blog long, you've seen a lot of prep pictures... tons of them. I'll repeat myself simply because this is true: Prep work makes recipes go more quickly, and it makes cooking and baking fun instead of annoying. Think Rachel Ray would look cool if she dug out all her ingredients as she prepared recipes? Didn't think so. So.... Stainless Mixing Bowl with Measuring Cup and leveler tool inside. Pinch Bowl full of sugar (yum!), Adjustable Measuring Spoon, Measuring Spoons, Easy Read Measuring Cup, Large Cutting Board, and Korintje Cinnamon.

Korintje Cinnamon from the Pampered Pantry is the star of this show. I have to admit that once you've used this for all those fab recipes featuring cinnamon, it's difficult to use other brands. My friend Christopher has started adding this to his family's Saturday morning pancake batter (yes, there are cool dads out there who make pancakes for the wife and kids), and he said it's fantastic!

Ok, so there's not a lot to explain about mixing this dough together, but I need to warn you again it's crazy sticky. I mean like stick...eeee. So just know that going in, and you'll have a great experience. Sometimes I cut scones in circles using my Biscuit Cutters, but this time I felt like cutting them in miniature triangles. I got a little crazy and caused them to lose shape while they baked, but you get the point. So I separated my dough on the floured Large Cutting Board (thanks, Flour/Sugar Shaker) and cut it in scones using the 7" Santoku Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection. Flour your knife blade for easy cutting. I baked these guys on the Rectangle Stone from the Stoneware Collection for amazing results. And I mean amazing results.

One thing I love about the Easy Read Measuring Cups is that you can use them as mixing bowls when needed. I measured my powdered sugar in here and just added everything else. This is where the Korintje Cinnamon really got to shine...cinnamon glaze sauce icing stuff. Oh, my! I mixed it all with the Skinny Scraper and was ready to go!

Ok, best glazing station ever. Put a towel or paper towels under the Cooling Rack, glaze warm scones, and throw the rack in the dishwasher. What about that leftover glaze that needs to be scraped from the sides of my measuring cup? Well, that's another story for another day, but I will say I gained a few pounds after making these.

Check out those bottoms! Stoneware is the best stuff ever! These scones will absolutely melt in your mouth, guaranteed. They're best enjoyed with a friend for sure! My friend Courtney and I used to make brunch together before she moved to Thailand, and this recipe always makes me think of the day we did scones and cheese grits. Odd combination? This is the South, and anything goes with grits at any time. Don't judge.

Ok, so these are good. Their goodness is trumped only by their easy preparation. If you don't make them, it's your loss, but you should at least pass the recipe to others so they can enjoy the world's best, easiest cinnamon sugar scones. Enjoy!


Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464

No comments:

Post a Comment