Tuesday, June 12, 2012

French Toast with Espresso Cream


What do you do when you have a loaf of French bread left from a dinner party?  Search for a new French toast recipe, of course!  I'd clipped this from a recent Rachael Ray magazine, and I was pretty excited to see I had all the ingredients available.  I like French toast.  I like espresso flavors.  What could go wrong?  Other than letting my butter get too hot on the second batch, nothing!  If you're in the mood for a fun recipe to try on a lazy weekend morning, I've got you covered.

French Toast with Espresso Cream
chefjennylyn.com

2 tbsp. instant espresso powder
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. salt
8 1/2-inch thick slices challah bread (I used French)
4 tbsp. unsalted butter

In a small bowl, whisk the espresso powder with 1/2 cup hot water.  Reserve 2 tbsp. of the liquid.  Whisk the condensed milk into the remaining espresso liquid.

In a baking dish, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, and reserved espresso liquid.  Add the bread slices to the dish, and turn to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet or griddle, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat.  Add 4 slices of bread and cook, turning once, until golden-brown, about 5 minutes.  Repeat with the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and 4 bread slices.

Serve warm, drizzled with espresso cream.



The Bread Knife makes quick work of, well, slicing bread.  I know that sounds simple, but have you ever tried slicing French bread with a regular knife?  I rest my case.  Anyway, this is on the Large Cutting Board which is resting over the kitchen sink for added space.


As always, my ingredients are prepped and ready to go.  Trust me when I say this saves a lot of trouble once you begin assembling the recipe.  The espresso mixture is in a Prep Bowl, and the heavy cream is in the Mini Easy Read Measuring Cup, a fabulous tool which measures up to 1/4 cup (4 tbsp.).  Then I've got eggs in a Small Batter Bowl with a Stainless Whisk.  The Stainless Mini Whisk is beside the Prep Bowl, and I utilized both the Measuring Spoons and the Adjustable Measuring Spoons.


I can't say enough about the Smooth-Edge Can Opener.  This picture explains much better than my feeble attempt at explaining the tool's true awesomeness.  Smooth edges.  No gunk on the can opener.  No lid going in the food.  Ah, it seems too good to be true... but it's just the Pampered Chef.


This step feels kind of gross, but the result is worth it.  Dip the bread, flip the bread, fry the bread.  My Double Burner Griddle says, "Load me up!"  I say, "OK!"


Does the site of butter and French toast sizzling make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?  Let's be friends.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464



No comments:

Post a Comment