Thursday, September 15, 2011

Goat Cheese Bruschetta

Goat cheese is always the right decision. This is the best bruschetta I've ever had, and that's a big deal when you consider that I'm kind of a bruschetta connoisseur. The key behind this recipe is my obsession with food. Since seeing the movie Julie & Julia, I've thought off and on about the bruschetta Julie makes her husband... the way it's grilling in a pan... the way it looks on the table... the fact that her husband is absolutely smitten by his wife's abilities in the kitchen. So for the last couple of years I've considered bruschetta and how to do it like Julie. I searched high and low, finally stalking the food stylist from the movie (that's difficult to admit), but I never found the actual recipe. Instead, I've created my own version using a couple of different recipes along with the movie's fried bread as inspiration. My friend Ashleigh came to cook with me, and she and I agreed that this is pretty much the most amazing food one can ever eat. Roasted tomato mixture + goat cheese + fried bread. Can it get any better?

Goat Cheese Bruschetta
chefjennylyn.com

1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
3-4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/4 cup goat cheese
8 slices French baguette

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a small mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, 1 tbsp. olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and basil. Roast in oven 20 minutes.

While tomato mixture cooks, heat 2-3 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet. Fry bread in oil, browning on each side. Add more oil if necessary.

Spread goat cheese on each bread slice, and top with tomato mixture.

Prepare to swoon.


Fresh tomatoes are vital for this recipe. You'll see what I'm talking about when you pull them out of the oven. I'm draining these in a Stainless Mesh Colander and using the 4 1/2" Serrated Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection to slice them. After throwing them in a Measuring Cup, I'm ready to prepare my other ingredients.

The Dripless Oil Bottle is new this month, and it's legit. I mean, this thing really won't drip oil at all! There's a Vinegar Bottle, too! My oil's in an Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup, and basil and tomatoes are in Measuring Cups. My salt and pepper are in a Pinch Bowl, and I've got garlic ready to go with the Garlic Press. Have you ever used the Pampered Chef Garlic Press? If you're peeling garlic every time you want to add it to a recipe, you're missing out. No more peeling garlic when you use this thing! Moving on... Everything is on the Large Grooved Cutting Board, and it's over my sink to save valuable counter space.

Do I look like a woman on a mission? A mission to get brushetta in my face, perhaps? The mixture is in a Small Batter Bowl, and it's about to roast to perfection on the Medium Bar Pan.

Now the real magic begins. I promise frying the bread takes this recipe to the next level. It also allows a little bit of protection to keep the soggy factor down. When serving appetizers, it's a big deal to have a few recipes that can stand to sit out a bit before getting gross. These slices are in the 10" Executive Skillet from the Executive Cookware Collection, and I'm using the Chef's Tongs to turn them.

Spread goat cheese on the bread, pile on the tomatoes, and watch out. Eat with friends because it's the only way to exercise self control. You've been warned.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


No comments:

Post a Comment