Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Traditional Whoopie Pies

I debated whether to post this recipe today since I just posted Dark German Chocolate Whoopie Pies, but then I decided that made this more appropriate than ever. Since you've got whoopie pies on the brain already, let's make a smooth transition to the real deal. Yes, I'm calling it like I'm seeing it. While there are tons of fabulous new whoopie pie recipes with all kinds of fun fillings, they will never be the original. So here I bring you the traditional pie that inspired the current fad.

Where did I get this recipe? Well, this is one of the many reasons I love my job. I was at a show last week when I began talking about whoopie pies. Rosemary, one of the guests, told me she's from Pennsylvania, and she has a Mennonite heritage. Long story short, she gave me her whoopie pie recipe! Put "whoopie pie recipe" in your search engine, and you'll come up with half a million results. Enjoy searching through those to find anything like this, something which actually came from Pennsylvania. My guess is that most whoopie pie recipes are pretty good, but I have a certain sense of satisfaction knowing I now have one which is truly an original. So thanks, Rosemary! And you were right - These are great!

(Displayed in the Mini Baker from the Stoneware Collection)

Traditional Whoopie Pies
chefjennylyn.com

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour milk (1 cup milk + 1 tbsp. vinegar)
1 cup hot water, scant
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cocoa
4 cups flour

Filling
2 egg whites, beaten
1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
4 tbsp. milk
4 tbsp. flour
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 cups shortening

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

For pies, cream shortening and sugar; add eggs, and beat well. Add sour milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift flour and cocoa. Mix well into egg mixture.
Combine soda with hot water, and add last.
Drop on prepared sheet, and bake 8 minutes.

For filling, beat egg whites, and set aside. Combine other ingredients, folding in beaten egg whites last.

When cookies are cooled, sandwich filling between two cookies.


Let me start by saying my best friend Elizabeth and I made these on Labor Day. In case you haven't heard, Labor Day in Alabama consisted of tropical storms. Our plan was to skip the lake (like that was even a possibility with a monsoon outside), eat ribs, watch movies, and bake whoopie pies. The day was a complete success, and I've got these pictures to prove it! Baking at Elizabeth's house is great because she's got a ton of Pampered Chef products. I'm using a Small Mix 'n Scraper for the cocoa, and I've got an Adjustable Measuring Spoon, a Classic Batter Bowl, a Measure-All Cup, and Easy Read Measuring Cup, and a couple of 1-Cup Prep Bowls out. The Large Scoop is out to dip the cookies, but that was a bad life choice. The finished products in the above picture are done with the Medium Scoop.

Can you tell I just got rained all over? That's what happens when you grocery shop in a tropical storm. Fortunately, friends loan friends dry shirts... and White Lily aprons. When a recipe tells you to sift ingredients, don't skip the step. No one is above the law when it comes to baking. Can you still get good results? Yes. Should you settle for good when you can sift your way to great? No. Here's one reason I love the Small Mix 'n Scraper. With its rounded head, it acts as a spoon for jobs like this. The sifter you see has been in my family for generations... very appropriate for such a recipe.

This is Elizabeth, and she's on filling duty. You can't tell by her expressive face, but she and I are both struggling to finish everything before the power decides to go out. What looks carefree is actually quite rushed, which is why there are so few pictures of this recipe.

"Get them in the oven before the power goes off!!!!" I'm using the Cookie Sheet and Parchment Paper to hold the world's largest whoopie pies. You should have seen this batch after they came out of the oven. Saucers, people... the pies were the size of saucers. I know that sounds great, but it's really not when you want to fill them with cream. It's more like a huge mess. Live and learn!


Wait - aren't there more pictures of, well, anything? No. The storm outside, the flashing electricity, the complete rib overload... So sorry, but each of these things factored into the decision to skip the pictures. The good news is that we got most of the batter baked before losing power, and then we enjoyed fabulous whoopie pies! You can enjoy them, too.

Thanks again to Rosemary, a great show guest, for sharing this family recipe and allowing me to pass it on to everyone else! I truly appreciate your generosity.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


1 comment:

  1. "No one is above the law when it comes to baking." Best. Line. Ever.

    Oh that day, those pies!

    ReplyDelete