Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pecan Pie

I grew up hating pecan pie, but then my sweet friend Julie hosted a December Pampered Chef party and served this. Um, it changed my life. She told me it was a great recipe, but I figured it would be much like the others I'd had... dark, gooey, over-the-top sugary, gross. But no. This is a light, beautiful pie with just just the right amount of sweetness. It's difficult to describe, so I guess I'd say this is the pecan pie for those of us who hate pecan pie. Besides that, this is the simplest recipe I've ever prepared. Read below for how ridiculously easy this is!
(In Deep Dish Pie Plate on Cooling Rack)


Pecan Pie
chefjennylyn.com

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
Raw pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients, and pour in pie shell.

Bake 40 minutes. Let cool completely and set up. (This takes a long time.)




Corn syrup isn't anyone's favorite ingredient to measure simply because it's sticky, messy, and awkward. Until it meets the Measure-All Cup. I have sugar in a Measuring Cup, and my Large Cutting Board is providing my work surface.

See what I mean about the Measure-All Cup? Just pop the corn syrup out, scrape it off, and you're done. This is the best tool for syrup, honey, peanut butter, sour cream, etc. That's going a Stainless Mixing Bowl with my sugar, and then butter is ready to be added from the Prep Bowl. Here's my little trick for recipes that require melted butter: Stick it in the oven while you're working on other things. This means you don't have to heat the stove (in case it's your favorite work area), and you don't have butter popping all over the microwave. Since the Prep Bowls are oven safe, I just put one in while the oven preheats, and I'm pretty much good to go by the time I have my other ingredients ready.

It's taken me a long time to learn that you can make a recipe with whatever ingredients you can find, but you can take it to the next level by using high quality ingredients. Yes, maybe this is something I should have known, but that's another story for another day. Bottom line, this is the best Vanilla in the world. It's double-strength, which means you only use half the amount recipes call for... so 8 oz. worth of vanilla in a 4 oz. bottle! Everything from the Pampered Pantry blows my mind, but this, the Salt, and the Pepper are my favorites. And the Cinnamon. Oh, and Greek Rub... and I'll stop now.

Could this recipe be any easier? Just throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl, and whisk it. I'm using the Stainless Whisk, and the Classic Scraper is in there to make sure I get everything off the sides of the Stainless Mixing Bowl because that means more in my mouth. Look at that Deep Dish Pie Plate just begging to be filled with deliciousness...

Food Chopper. The end. If you've ever used this tool, you know what I'm trying to say, and you understand there just aren't words. I love the Food Chopper. Seriously, this thing is fabulous on nuts, meat, fruit, vegetables, etc. All the pieces come apart and go in the dishwasher, so I'd call that a win. You can use it directly on the Large Cutting Board if you'd like, but I like keeping the cap on when I do nuts. Then I just pour them directly from the chopper into my Easy Read Measuring Cup. It can't get any better.

So about refrigerated pie crusts... just follow the directions, and you're golden. I'm flouring this with the Flour/Sugar Shaker, and I've got it rolled out on the Large Cutting Board. From here, I'll transfer it to the Deep Dish Pie Plate.

The Baker's Roller doesn't get much press, but it's one of those things I'm super thankful for when I need it (like Band-Aids that go untouched for weeks but then deliver when I've done something stupid). In the case of pie crust, you can roll it out with the large end, fit it into the plate with the small end, and shape the edges with the shaping tool. Yes, the shaping tool is that little white thing stuck in the middle. It even stays snapped in when it's in the dishwasher. Then the Deep Dish Pie Plate is ready to go in the oven. This dish represents Stoneware well, delivering crisp, golden crust and even results. Besides, can we say beautiful piece?

So here's the bottom line on this pie: Make sure you're sharing with friends. Seriously, if you don't have a dump plan (the plan that gets food out of your house), DO NOT make this. You've been warned. However, given that you have a fun dinner party or something else where you can bring a dessert, this will make you a hero. Enjoy!

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464

1 comment:

  1. This is seriously the best. pie. ever. The recipe actually came from the man who invented the little pecan pies that you get from vending machines, the gas station, etc. I worked with his son-in-law and his daughter was gracious enough to share the recipe! I have to also add that you aren't the only one I've heard say that they hate pecan pie and then fall in love with this one!

    ReplyDelete