Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gazpacho

A few years ago my sister-in-law Shannon made gazpacho for a party, and it made me a believer. The stuff was so good that I had to get the recipe two years later and make it for myself no more than two years after that, which was a couple of weeks ago. I know it's lame for me to sit on a recipe I know I love, but sometimes I'm a moron. The bottom line is that I finally made it and kicked myself for waiting so long before getting my act together. Now the ball's in your court, so make gazpacho.

Gazpacho
chefjennylyn.com

1 cup each, chopped:
Red onion
Bell pepper
Cucumber
Tomatoes, peeled
1 1/2 tsp. garlic
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups tomato juice
Thyme sprig

Mix all ingredients, and refrigerate overnight. Blend thyme sprig.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Yield 8 cups

Pretty complicated, huh?


One thing I love about this recipe is its color. Just look at all the vegetable action in my kitchen! Here's a tip on bell peppers. In this case, I'm using the whole thing, but if I needed to save half, I would save the part that still has seeds in it. This just makes it last longer in the fridge. All of this crazy cutting is on the Large Grooved Cutting Board, and I'm using the 5" Santoku Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection to make it happen. See those peeled tomatoes? The Vegetable Peeler is an amazing tool, and it makes quick work of tomatoes and even apples... not just the standard carrots, cucumbers, etc.

Dear Veggie Wedger: I'm sorry I thought you seemed kind of stupid when I first saw you were introduced to the product line. I'm glad I got you for zero dollars as a consultant and that I got to experience just how great you are. I was wrong, and I love you.

The Manual Food Processor blows my mind. This recipe is ridiculously easy because of this tool. Look at how easily it chops the vegetables without turning them to soup! It's kind of funny for me to say that considering I'm turning them to soup.

And so all the beautiful colors come together! The Mini Mix 'n Scraper is the perfect size for the Manual Food Processor, even when the blade's in the base. I'm adding everything to the Large Stainless Mixing Bowl, and then I'll put the lid on it to store my soup overnight.

Check out that Smooth-Edge Can Opener! I hope I never get over how great this thing is. Smooth edge means no danger. No food on the can opener means no nasty crust. No lid in the can's contents means no... lid in the can's contents.

So here's something really cool about the Measure-All Cup. It has tablespoon measurements. Half a cup plus two tablespoons is 10 tablespoons, so there you go! Then there's the Mini-Measure All Cup (no longer pink) with tomato paste in it.

Most lemons yield about 2 tablespoons of juice, so you're pretty safe to cut it in half when you need one tablespoon. However, if you're not using a good Citrus Press, you may end up using the entire lemon to get the same amount. See how good tools help in the kitchen? I'm measuring into the Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup.

Garlic Press. That is all. Ok, it's not, but just ask someone who has this if it's not the most amazing garlic press in the world. He or she will answer yes every time. You don't have to peel the garlic, people! I repeat: You. don't. have. to. peel. the. garlic!

Take all of this, add it together, and give it a good stir. It's good right after you do that, but it's magic if you wait until the next day. Everything marries, and flavor babies are born like crazy! Tomato juice (which can be tricky to find - thanks, Publix) is in the 4-Cup Easy Read Measuring Cup, and cayenne pepper is in a Pinch Bowl. Vinegar is in a Measuring Spoon, and the Classic Scraper is covered in tomato paste beside it. I've explained everything else, so I won't make you endure it again. You're welcome.

So here's the bottom line on this soup. It's good, and you'll agree if you make it. Unlike many gazpacho recipes, this one doesn't require breadcrumbs. Don't ask me why, but that's a win. Also, this originates in Spain, and Spain is a great country. I love that place and everyone in it! Treat yourself to gazpacho soon, and let me know when you do.

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


No comments:

Post a Comment