Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Greek Pinwheels

I want to kiss the inventor of puff pastry, and I don't mean one of those polite little kisses some cultures use as a greeting. Is there anything puff pastry can't do? It's so versatile in that it can be used for all types of recipes, but it also - get this - puffs! How fun is that? And the buttery goodness that coats your mouth when you take a bite... I just love it. There's just one thing that sometimes throws me about puff pastry, and I'm going to be honest here: 2 sheets per box when I only want 1 for a recipe. Some people love keeping spare ingredients on hand, but I'm not those people. No, I'm the person who forgets something is around and then lets it go bad before it gets used. Given that puff pastry isn't cheap, I don't want it succumbing to frost bite because I failed to find a use for it. Welcome to the reason I tried this recipe.

Greek Pinwheels
chefjennylyn.com

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 tbsp. beaten egg
3/4 tsp. water
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
1 tsp. Greek seasoning

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Unfold puff pastry. Whisk egg and water; brush over pastry.
Combine and mix remaining ingredients, and spread over pastry to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, and cut into twenty 1/2-inch slices.

Place 2 inches apart on stones, and bake 10-12 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.

We have a ton of spices, but the Greek Rub may be my favorite. Use it on meat, vegetables, etc., and thank me later. Seasoning is in a Measuring Spoon while feta hangs out in a Measuring Cup. Then I've also got the Easy Opener to pop the seal on my artichoke hearts. All these gems are resting on a Cutting Board.

Have I ever told you how much I adore the Manual Food Processor? Just stick your ingredients inside, and pump the top until they're chopped to your liking. Love.

Sorry, but this is where the pictures end. What can I say? I just wasn't in the mood to wash my hands and use my camera. Instead, I stayed covered in egg, Greek mixture, and puff pastry, assuming all my friends could use their imaginations to picture what it looks like to fill, slice, and bake pinwheels. In all seriousness, I got really messy, and I don't know how. I think once you get slimy things on your fingers, it's all downhill, and all bets are off. That's what happened here, but the end result was still fabulous. Egg: 1-Cup Prep Bowl. Water: Measuring Spoon. Also pictured: Stainless Mini Whisk and Large Grooved Cutting Board.

So you've been looking for new appetizers for those spring parties you've got coming up? All together now: "Problem solved."

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464



No comments:

Post a Comment