Thursday, November 3, 2011

Coconut Chicken Tenders

Before you skip this because of the chicken's golden fried color, let me announce that this recipe is straight from the pages of Cooking Light. Welcome to a coconut chicken recipe that won't leave you feeling heavy, greasy, and gross.

Chicken breasts on sale equal a lot of chicken in the freezer, and a lot of chicken in the freezer equals a hunt for new recipes. Cooking Light came through for me again with a delicious, relatively simple dish that's not loaded with fat and calories. Grab some chicken breasts, slice them up, and make these tenders happen!


Coconut Chicken Tenders
chefjennylyn.com

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup rice flour (Jenny-Lyn: I used all-purpose)
1 cup whole buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
3 tablespoons canola oil
Sweet chile sauce (optional)
Preparation

1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine buttermilk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring well. Place coconut in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour; shake off excess. Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in coconut.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done, turning to brown. Serve with chile sauce, if desired.


As always, getting ingredients out before putting anything together is a good call. This is how you prevent, "Oh, I don't have any eggs, but other ingredients are already mixed!" situations. Here's what's being used: Measuring Spoon Set, Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup, Easy Read Measuring Cups, Small Batter Bowl, Cake Pans, Measuring Cups, Dots Pasta Bowl, Large Cutting Board.

I didn't take pictures because I didn't want to wash my hands five extra times while slicing chicken, but I used the 5" Santoku Knife from the Forged Cutlery Collection. All I can say is that chicken doesn't have to be sawed, and if you're sawing, you need a new knife. I had no idea before I began using the Forged Cutlery Collection! My flour mixture, egg mixture, and coconut are in Cake Pans. These are perfect for dredging because of their deep sides and light weight. Note: The set comes with two pans, not three.

Cooking is messy. From the cake pans, chicken goes into the 10" Skillet from the Executive Cookware Collection. I'm using the Chef's Tongs for chicken handling, and I can't say enough about them. They have a long handle to keep my arm away from popping oil, and the silicone end keeps from scratching my cookware. Then there's the gentle grip that ensures coconut crust stays on the chicken instead of in the pan. Thanks, Chef's Tongs!

Ok, so if you're looking for a new way to use chicken breasts, look no further. These tenders are simple and delicious. Enjoy!

Like the products you saw used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


No comments:

Post a Comment