Thursday, May 29, 2014

Grilled Steak Kabobs


Do you remember a couple of posts ago when I made chicken kabobs?  Do you remember how it was mid-April, and my plan was derailed by a snowstorm?  Yeah, I do, too.  Anyway, my husband and I had our FPU friends over for a second "Family Dinner" last night, and we served a new kabob recipe - one that turned out to be amazing!  Guess what?  We even got to cook them outside this time!  Buckle up, my sweeties.  You're going to want steak kabobs tonight.

Grilled Steak Kabobs
chefjennylyn.com

2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2-3 lemons, trimmed and sliced into rounds
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grainy mustard
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 1/4 lb. sirloin steak, but into 1-inch cubes
2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes
8 scallions, white portions only, cut into 1-inch pieces

In a small bowl, mix salt and sugar.  Toss with lemon slices, and let stand one hour.

In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, mustard, and vinegar.  Transfer one-third of the marinade to a medium bowl.  Marinate beef in remaining marinade, and add tomatoes and scallions to the medium bowl.  Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Thread eight skewers using this pattern:
Beef cube - lemon slice - tomato - beef cube - scallion piece - tomato.

Season kabobs with extra salt and pepper if desired, and grill on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.  (This cooking time is for medium-rare.)

Note: I used a Rachael Ray recipe that I tore out of a magazine a few years ago.  The recipe above is hers doubled with a few tweaks.  She didn't pay me to make her stuff, but that'd be sweet.


Let's start with something very important.  My in-laws grew these green onions.  That means this recipe is made with an extra dose of love, one you won't find just anywhere.  (I married well, right?)

I'm one for getting everything out at the same time.  The ingredients, the tools, everything.  This prevents fumbling around and wasting valuable minutes.  I've got Batter bowls, a Measure-All Cup, a Pinch Bowl, the Stainless Whisk, the Small Mix 'n Scraper, and a Large Cutting Board out and ready to go.


What makes the Measuring Spoon Set so awesome?  Besides the classic design that won't go out of style, the fact that they snap together for easy storage, and the standard and metric measurements, I'd say the way they fit inside spice bottles.  These small conveniences make a big difference when you're in the nitty-gritty of cooking and baking.


Having good knives in your kitchen is important, especially when you want to get solid, uniform slices of lemon.  The Forged Cutlery Collection will blow your mind!  This is the 5" Santoku, my favorite piece.


Meaure-All Cup!  I've shown this many times, but you press it down to the measurement you want, fill it with whatever is gross or inconvenient to measure (mustard, mayonnaise, peanut butter, honey, etc.), and pop it out.  There's no mess, and you're guaranteed to get every bit of the ingredient out of the cup.  I'm measuring into the Classic Batter Bowl, and my oil and vinegar are hanging out in Easy Read Measuring Cups.


I love kabobs.  I love grilling season.  I love the slicing and dicing and the bright, beautiful colors.  Are you with me?


My lemons and beef are in Stainless Mixing Bowls, and I have tomatoes and scallions in the Classic Batter Bowl.  The Small Mix 'n Scraper is being used to toss everything.


Skewering kabobs takes patience, but it's pretty fun if you have the right playlist, beautiful vegetables, and the Pampered Chef BBQ Skewer Set.  Seriously, these things are amazing!  They have tips pointed just enough to aid in stabbing but not so sharp that people are going to get hurt eating dinner.  The stainless steel means heat throughout the meat, resulting in a faster cooking time.  Then there's the sheer length for adult portions.  Honest moment: I don't want a six-inch kabob.


I'm using the BBQ Corn & Skewer Rack, and that's the BBQ Grill Tray underneath.  I know it's weird, but the tray was already on the grill from peppers, and I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to just set the rack on top.  I was right.  And the BBQ Tongs?  Amazing.  (One note: You may see that I did a couple of kabobs with onions.  That's because I ran out of lemons and improvised.)


What a wonderful night with friends!  Kabobs, Take 2 = Success!


Like the products used?
Shop Online 24/7 at pamperedchef.biz/jennylyn
E-mail me: chefjennylyn[at]gmail.com
Call me up: (205) 585-2464


No comments:

Post a Comment